Writing a bookcan be an organizational nightmare.
You find yourself scribbling ideas, scenes, research notes, you name it, on napkins, in notebooks, on sticky pads, or keyboarding stuff into files you can’t find later on your computer.
This book writing software calls itself the ultimate organization tool for writers.
So, is it? Could it be just the thing you’ve been looking for?
Let me cover its benefits, features, and pros and cons so you can decide.
Scriveneris book writing software developed more than a dozen years ago by an aspiring author frustrated with trying to keep his notes organized.
The result was a word-processing tool similar toMicrosoft Wordwith the organization capabilities of a tool likeEvernote.
It varies depending on your system:
- Mac OS: $49
- Windows：$ 45
- iOS (iPad): $19.99
These are one-time payments, but you do have to purchase separate licenses if you want it on both your computer and tablet/phone.
- Free templates:Scrivenertakes into account that not all writers need the same type of help. A screenwriter requires something different from a poet, etc., so you can choose from among dozens of templates.
- Personalized setup and interfaces:Scrivener允许您自定义其许多功能以满足您的需求。
- 支持:Scrivenerincludes tutorials to walk you through its features.
- Licenses for each platform: If you work on both a Mac and a Windows computer, you would have to buy a license for each.
- 陡峭的学习曲线: Even its most enthusiastic supporters admit it takes time to masterScrivener’smany features.
You can create as many folders as you like, even folders inside of folders, along with images, documents, and notes.
The Cork Board
Scrivener’s Cork Board takes what appears in your Binder and lays it out like sticky notes on a wall. You can move these around as you wish.
Anonfiction authorwill lay out their project differently from a novelist.Scrivenerprovides free templates to choose from.
It also allows you to import third-party templates (hundreds available online).
Project Goals and Targets
Scrivenerallows you toset targets and goalsfor your project, prompting you with how you’re doing. You can also set targets for individual writing sessions and track your progress with the “Writing History” feature.
To help keep you on track,Scrivener允许您对其各种元素进行编码。
从章节和场景到研究和笔记，您可以自定义标签以表示仍在的章节outline form, in draft stage, or complete.
Scrivenerhas so many features that this can become distracting. Their “Distraction Free Mode” allows the user to focus on only one thing at a time.
You can customize the page to feature notes or images or copy you want to work with, while removing anything you don’t need.
以及跟踪单词计数，Scrivenerallows you to also monitor everything from character count, average sentence length, and even how often you use a certain word.
When editing your work, you can analyze individual documents or chapters.
The Inspector Tool
This is a new feature inScrivener3, highlighting certain sections of your text. You can use this to在您的对话中回家or your use of adjectives, adverbs, and pronouns.
This common feature in book writing software solves a writer’s worst nightmare—your computer crashing before saving your work.
Publish To Almost Any Format
Finally,Scrivenerallows self-publishing writers to export or printmanuscriptsinto almost any format. You can save your project for paperback, hardcover, and eBook without having to create separate documents for each.
成本: Pay what you want
- Drag and drop feature allows you to rearrange your chapters
- The ability to create character and settings lists
Bibiscowas created with novelists in mind, and its features help you research your book and stay organized.
The Novel Factory
成本: from $39.99
- Customizable story templates
- Importing previous drafts is time consuming
- Available Only for PC
- Some find the software less intuitive thanScrivener
成本: from $49.99
- Easy to use
- The ability to import and export characters
- Standard version offers limited features
- No built-in word processor, so you’ll need other software to accompanyCampfire Pro
- Some features are too complex
Campfire Prois designed to help you plan and research your book. It isn’t a word processor likeScrivener.
Many of my widely-published colleagues swear byScrivener,though they admit it comes with a steep learning curve. I personally use it mostly for managing my research. I still use Word to actually write my manuscripts.
If you’re willing to invest the time to master this powerful tool, it could well be worth its modest price.
Click here to check outScrivener.